about GDC

our theatre’s history

Gainford Drama Club was formed in 1949 and since that time members have presented nearly 150 productions. The first four plays took place in the Montalbo Rooms, now the Village Hall, but in 1950 the club was granted a lease for its current location, The Academy Theatre (High Green, Gainford). The building was originally a school where its most famous pupil, Stan Laurel of “Laurel and Hardy”, attended. Appropriate, perhaps, then that it should become a theatre.

With the help of members a stage was built, lights were fitted, curtains were made, a dressing room equipped and the little theatre, in which members take great pride, came into being. After 1961 the club became affiliated to the Village Hall complex.

Improvements are regularly made. In 1983, tip-up seats, obtained from the Darlington Civic Theatre, were installed and financed by members and friends, whose names are on the seats. The most recent development has been a Green Room, which has greatly added to the facilities backstage. Lighting and audio equipment have also been updated.

There are usually Spring and Autumn productions performed to our many loyal supporters and we have regular play readings and social events for members and friends. The Club’s success comes down to our dedicated members and a wide range of talented helpers who all give their valuable time to the Club’s activities, and to the ever growing audience who support us.

We hope you enjoy the Club as much as we do.